Click on blue links to view tables
For immediate release: Wednesday 3 January 2007
Investment fund statistics November 2006
- Investment funds under management £398 billion (November 2005 £334 billion)
- Total net industry sales £632 million (November 2005 £1.1 billion)
- Net retail sales £716 million (November 2005 £1 billion)
- Net ISA sales £-3.1 million (November 2005 £79 million)
Investment funds under management of £398 billion in November saw a rise of 1% from October and were 19% higher than November 2005. ISA funds under management of £50 billion rose 1% from the previous month and were 17% higher than the previous year.
Net ISA sales of £-3.1 million in November were less than the sales of £83 million in October and were down £82 million from November 2005. The most popular ISA sector in November was the UK All Companies sector, accounting for 26% of gross ISA sales.
Total net sales were £632 million with bonds accounting for inflows of £407 million. Of the £716 million net retail sales £214 million was invested in balanced funds, followed by £207 million in bonds.
Graph showing net retail sales over the last 13 months.
The most popular sector in November was UK All Companies, representing 21% of gross retail sales. The sector was favoured by intermediaries and accounted for 20% of gross retail business through this channel.
The most popular distribution channel in November was the intermediary channel representing 81% of gross retail business. Gross ISA sales of £257 million from fund supermarkets made them the dominant distributor of ISAs, followed by £186 million through sales force/tied agents.
The Specialist sector remained the most popular net retail sector with inflows of £408 million, of which £393 million was through the property funds in this sector. The sector with the biggest outflows in November was the Japan sector with net outflows of £133 million.
Sheila Nicoll, Deputy Chief Executive of the IMA commented:
"Despite sales of investment funds dipping to the lowest levels for four months in November, net retail sales for 2006 are still on track to reach one of the best years on record."
1. Summary table
2. Funds under management by asset class
3. Unit trust/OEIC sales
4. Net sales by asset class
5. Gross retail sales - 10 year summary
6. Sector summary - current month
7. Retail business by sector and channel - current month
8. Summary of best and worst selling sectors
9. Funds under management - 13 month chart
10. Net retail sales - 13 month chart
11. Performance of average fund by IMA sector
If you have any comments on presentation of the monthly statistics please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, please contact:
Noreen Shah, Press Officer, IMA, 020 7831 0898
Mona Patel, Head of Communications, IMA, 020 7831 0898/ 07834 089332