For immediate release: Wednesday 7 May 2008
QUARTERLY INVESTMENT FUND STATISTICS FUNDS OF FUNDS, TRACKER AND ETHICAL DATA - Q1 2008
- Total investment funds under management £432.7 billion
- Funds under management in funds of funds £32.6 billion
- Net retail sales of funds of funds £228.7 million
- Tracker funds under management £24.5 billion
- Net retail sales of tracker funds £64.3 million
- Ethical funds under management £5.4 billion
- Net retail sales of ethical funds £27.6 million
Funds of Funds - funds under management
Funds under management at the end of Q1 2008 reached £32.6 billion, down from £34.2 billion seen at the end of the previous quarter but an increase of 8% from the same quarter in 2007. Balanced funds accounted for the majority of funds under management, representing 68% of assets, followed by 19% in equity funds.
Funds of funds - net sales
Total net sales were £637.3 million in Q1 2008 down from £834 million seen in the previous quarter, and lower than the £821.1 million seen in Q1 2007. 57% was invested externally. The most popular sector sectorin Q1 2008 was Cautious Managed, accounting for net inflows of £238.3 million..
Funds under management in Q1 2008 reached £24.5 billion, a decrease of 10% from the previous quarter and 7% down from £26.3 billion seen in Q1 2007. Retail sales saw a net inflow of £64.3 million in Q1 2008 compared with an outflow of £59.6 million in the previous quarter; the same quarter the previous year saw an outflow of £4.9 million. The most popular distribution channel for gross retail tracker sales was intermediaries, accounting for 63% of sales.
Ethical funds under management were £5.4 billion in Q1 2008, a decrease from the previous quarter's £5.9 billion and slightly higher than the £5.3 billion seen in the same quarter in 2007. Retail sales saw a net inflow in Q1 2008 of £27.6 million, compared to an inflow of £99.7 million in the previous quarter; the same quarter the previous year saw an inflow of £99.8 million.
Jane Lowe, Director of Markets at the IMA commented:
"Tracker funds saw a positive quarterly inflow, with a good month in March 2008, after six previous quarters of outflows. This may reflect the cautious improvement in overall net retail sales of funds seen during February and March 2008. Investment in funds of funds has remained positive throughout, and although funds under management were down on the last quarter they remain ahead of the same quarter in 2007."
1. Summary table
2. Quarterly gross retail sales by distribution channel
3. Quarterly net retail sales and net ISA/PEP sales vs FTSE 100
4. Quarterly net retail sales by asset type
5. Quarterly total net sales by client type
6. Comparative performance of £1,000 lump sum over 5, 10 and 15 years
7. Comparative performance of £50 per month savings plan over 5, 10 and 15 years
8. Summary of funds of funds unit trust/OEIC funds under management
9. Summary of funds of funds unit trust/OEIC sales
10. Funds of funds assets and sales by sector
11. Summary of tracker and ethical funds under management and sales
12. Performance of lump sum and savings plans by sector
For further information, please contact:
Noreen Shah, Press Officer, IMA, 020 7831 0898
Mona Patel, Head of Communications, IMA, 07834 089332